Solid State Society

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Willowhugger

Post by Willowhugger »

Yeah, I noticed that there was some implied sexual prejudice against men with full body cybernetics in Episode 2 as well. At least by how the prostitute reacted to Gino.

I'm disappointed as well by there not being a 3rd season but I'm not going to complain about getting a new movie. The Ghost in the Shell franchise has gone farther than I suspect anyone thought when it was released as a movie.
Author of "Machine Goddess" and "The Undying Machine"
Machine Goddess: http://tinyurl.com/gkp5z
Undying Machine: http://tinyurl.com/jvw9p
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

After SAC 2nd Gig had ended in Japan, I was hoping that there a 3rd season to be in the works, since the director of SAC announced they would produce more SAC if the sales and TV ratings for SAC 2nd Gig in America were successful. It is good that the SAC series is continuing with a movie that is set a couple years after the events in SAC 2nd Gig (which finish tonight on Adult Swim in America)
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Motoko2030 wrote:After SAC 2nd Gig had ended in Japan, I was hoping that there a 3rd season to be in the works, since the director of SAC announced they would produce more SAC if the sales and TV ratings for SAC 2nd Gig in America were successful.
Do you know how it has been doing here for ratings and sales? I thought I heard that it was doing very well, but that was like 3 months ago.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

I haven't heard anything about the exact figure of sales and TV ratings for SAC 2nd Gig, the stores near me have been running out of the limited edition versions and on some of the anime e-commerce websites, the SAC 2nd Gig DVDs have been on the top ten ordered DVD lists, that is great to hear.

The sales and ratings for SAC 2nd Gig must havebeen excellent to allow Kenji Kamiyama to do a SAC movie.
cowboyfunk22

Post by cowboyfunk22 »

Solid State is also a common term used from amps that use microchips and not tubes. This is what i thought when i first heard it. If you think of it its kinda cool, cause they would be keeping with the "gig" idea.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Production IG are showing more of Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society at the Anime Expo 2006 in the Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California on July 2nd.

http://www.productionig.com/contents/ne ... _ig_l.html
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Motoko2030 wrote:Production IG are showing more of Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society at the Anime Expo 2006 in the Anaheim Convention Center, Anaheim, California on July 2nd.

http://www.productionig.com/contents/ne ... _ig_l.html
Cool!

They also mention a new Kamiyama's series ... so SSS could be SAC's final chapter :cry:
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

This quote about Solid State Society is from http://www.animenation.net/news
Bandai Visual has announced that the 105 minute long Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society movie will premier on the SKYPerfecTV! satellite television network on September 1st then go on sale on Japanese DVD on November 24th at a retail price of 10,290 yen.

The Solid State Society OVA features theatrical quality animation produced at a cost of 360 million yen (roughly 3.14 million dollars).
Can't wait to see more from Solid State Society in the upcoming months.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I don't usually go in for these abrieviations that seem to be the popular trappings of conversation on the interwebs, but...

ZOMFG!!!!111!! :D

Just saw Solid State Society for the first time, in japanese unfortunately (C'mon Bandai, release me some subs) :( (with a japanese speaking friend translating realtime, that takes me back...)
But still it's one of those animations that makes me want to cut off my ears and gouge my eyes out, because tbh it's all downhill from here! :D The Animation is as good as always and soundtrack is so brilliant it almost gave me an eargasm :P , easily IMO surpassing what was in 2nd GIG. I was really worried that another ressurection of the SAC concept was going to seem tired but the plot just follows on from the other incarnations of SAC so well and by making connections to the manga and the films it adds alot more depth to the verse and depth to the characters....
*Elmo desends into fanboy gibberish*

...anyone else seen it yet?
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Just been watching on ------- and i think i sea the kid know as the laughing man in section 9.
Can anyone clearafy this?
As too the other woman there are two options for main state players
Chroma and Clarance
or there are the multiple copys/ double/dolls that appear in the books including the motoko with the dragon tato.
I know who the doll is !! ( just with i understand japanese)
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

I'll try to awnser that but be warned anything I say is likely to be heavy spoilers and might ruin the plot for you so if I were you i wouldn't peek at them, but you might have a higher tolerance of spoilers than me so here we go :)
AJB2K3 wrote:Just been watching on ------- and i think i sea the kid know as the laughing man in section 9.
Can anyone clearafy this?
I'm pretty sure he's not Aoi, even though i do see the resemblence with his hairstyle; he's just one of the extra recruits that they were talking about getting towards the end of 2nd GIG. These extra characters in section 9 don't really have any use in the storyline apart from being extra firepower much in the same way the tachikomas were sometimes used in previous SAC incarnations, most of the new section 9 members aren't even given a name they are just collectively refered to as 'subordinates'. Even if there is the smallest chance that he was 'The laughing man kid' it's never mentioned in Solid State Society.
AJB2K3 wrote:As too the other woman there are two options for main state players
Chroma and Clarance
or there are the multiple copys/ double/dolls that appear in the books including the motoko with the dragon tato.
I know who the doll is !! ( just with i understand japanese)
Spoilers wrote:Motoko Kusanagi is using a selection of dolls/decots/copys/whatever as in the books, she has a selection of male and female bodies that she can remote control(although she can only manage two bodies at a time) and a child body. The body with Purple hair is definately the Major, the question of who the other female body is being controlled by is a significant part of the plot and potentially a bigger spoiler so I'll put it seperately below. you have been warned!!!
BiggerSpoilers wrote:The blonde haired body that meets with Nakamura of Section 6 (Ministry of Foreign Affairs). Isn't controlled by the Major but by the puppeteer.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

THYREN wrote: They also mention a new Kamiyama's series ... so SSS could be SAC's final chapter :cry:
at anime expo06 it was announced that Solid State Society is not planned to be the final form of the SAC series. That's all i know :S personally I'm hoping for a new television series, as nice as 'SSS: part II' would be; 3rd GIG would be better :)
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

Here are some more spoilers with my questions:
I'm pretty sure that the kid is NOT Aoi either.

However, because the subs I found were really useless, I didn't understand that the blonde decot was not controlled by Motoko. Are you sure of this?

Did you also notice that Togusa finally let his old mateba go and got an automatic instead? :wink:

Also, could anyone explain to me how Motoko manage to save Togusa when he was hacked and tried to commit suicide? By that, I mean how did she know this and why was she following him there?

And don't you think that the whole thing with the kids was a "bit" like in Innocence (which was originally taken from the manga)?

Globally, SSS is really good. However, I found the music not as good as usual, which is surprising. But I'm happy to see the Tachikomas again
:P
Elmo wrote:
THYREN wrote: They also mention a new Kamiyama's series ... so SSS could be SAC's final chapter :cry:
at anime expo06 it was announced that Solid State Society is not planned to be the final form of the SAC series. That's all i know :S personally I'm hoping for a new television series, as nice as 'SSS: part II' would be; 3rd GIG would be better :)
Good news! :P
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Elmo

Post by Elmo »

THYREN wrote:
Did you also notice that Togusa finally let his old mateba go and got an automatic instead?
ElmoSpoilers wrote:Yes, but he brings it back when he goes to rescue his daughter which is odd, probably some deep symbolic meaning there that i'm just not getting :P
THYREN wrote:
Also, could anyone explain to me how Motoko manage to save Togusa when he was hacked and tried to commit suicide? By that, I mean how did she know this and why was she following him there?

And don't you think that the whole thing with the kids was a "bit" like in Innocence (which was originally taken from the manga)?

Globally, SSS is really good. However, I found the music not as good as usual, which is surprising. But I'm happy to see the Tachikomas again
:P
Elmo'sSpoilers wrote:At first I wasn't sure about how she was meant to know Togusa was in trouble either, but Batou accuses her of using him as bait so prehaps she predicted that the puppeteer would react this way to him getting involved with the solid state society(she certainly warned Batou about the same thing happening to him) or she was aware of the warning the puppetmaster gave Togusa. Either way she was obviously keeping track of Togusa to the extent that she put 'safeguards'(presumably these prevented him from succeeding in killing himself) and some way of tracking the signal back to the puppetmaster, also the car that pulls out behind him when he is forced to kidnap his daughter is the car she stole from Batou earlier. She was spying on their investigation from the very first scene where she's tapping the police communications(presumably because of events interuptting her planned assasination) it's not that much of a stretch that she continued to investigate what was going on from that point onwards including keeping an eye on section9's operation, a "personal enquiry for an investigation" as she says. Also it's implied that someone was eavesdropping on Togusa and Batou via the security camera systems(although it's not confirmed wether this someone is the puppeteer or Motoko.

Also you were right about the blonde body being controlled by Motoko(I just watched it again with the subs) she was meeting with Nakamura because the puppeteer managed to assasinate her target before she did. Something I can't work out is was Aramaki aware of what Motoko was doing? he knew that someone had assasinated him for the government...

I was vereh amused by the parts that were a "bit" like in the manga, everything from when the Major returns to section9 was very similar to the sections from the first book and I'm also happy to see the tachikomas back alive and well, it's cool that they have evolved their individuality to the point that they have names now ...and slick, shiny new paint jobs! :D :tachi!: :tachi!: :tachi!:
It's a pity they couldn't have used more new music rather than the old SAC music which was written to fit different scenes :gabu: but what little new music they did introduce and the opening and closing songs more than made up for it IMO. :) :tachi!:
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

For those of you who have watched SSS and can understand what is going on, does it explain why Motoko left Section 9 after the events of SAC 2nd Gig?