Solid State Society

Talk about GitS:SAC, 2nd Gig, & SSS here!

Moderator: sonic

Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

1min 30 sec

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Hello all,
New here,

You can avoid having the second season spoiled, (like I foolishly did) by fast forwarding to 1min 30 sec.

Does it look like to any of you that Batou's hair is cut?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

On the Masamune Shirow Hyperpage site, there is an article on some more details about Solid State Society at http://www.takotech.net/mshp//index.php ... 1#comments

The quote below shows the main points from the article, there are some spoilers about the ending of the SAC 2nd Gig, so if you don't want to get spoiled just yet, don't highlight the spoilers or click on the link.
spoiler wrote:S.S.S. is set in 2034, 2 years after 2nd GIG’s incident. The new story has 20 recruits, differing from the previous series.

"Laughing man incident, refugee incident… I thought 7 people can’t fix all these big incidents. The organisation changes with new people, and I’d like fans to see how the original members are affected by it", Kamiyama says. “I wish my creative team had more people” he added.

The new enemy confronting Section 9 is Kugutsumuwashi, who's a genius hacker. Nothing other than the name is revealed, but the name has an image of "puppet master", which makes you imagine the puppet master in Ghost In The Shell. "If you are a GITS fan, you'll think of something immediately from Kugutsumawashi" says Sakurai, suggesting this is correct. But I can't get into details, but I had the idea behind making it associate with "something", he added.

In the Q&A from fans he was asked why S.A.C. mascot "Tachikoma" is not listed in the cast. "You know what happened to Tachikoma, in the end of 2nd GIG. In the new series... let's leave it up to your support for (her). "Oh, but I've already done the writing" he added.

Will the romance between Batou and Major be in? Kamiyama said, "When 2nd GIG had finished, Motoko was in a dark mood. In the new series, we questioned if she will be a happy person as she used to be. Please see what's going to happen." This seems to be the highlight of the new one.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

another 20?!¿!? :shock: that's alot of characters for a single faction in a story... :? we can only hope the characterization doesn't suffer. Strange that only one of them appeared in the concept art.
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

Most likely we'll only get glimpses of most of them - the point most likely is of the older members feeling less at home in the Section 9 with rookies going about everywhere and the old methods changing with their involvement.

When Kamiyama first decided to make the GitS TV-series, he wanted to portray the characters younger and more enthusiastic versions of those seen in the movie, where Major is descending into brooding and self-doubt and Aramaki is waiting for his retirement-days to come. Perhaps we'll come a some kind of full circle, where the old characters begin to feel less comfortable in the ever so rapidly changing world. I don't mean, that we would end where the movies begin - it's well known that these are separate universes - but the darker themes of the movies might sneak into the SAC world...
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
james_sb

Post by james_sb »

Lightice wrote: Perhaps we'll come a some kind of full circle, where the old characters begin to feel less comfortable in the ever so rapidly changing world.
Sorry to contraire, just being obtuse. But don't you think these people are the most comfortable with change considering?

It's not an important point, just felt like saying that.
Are you ANTI-POP?
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

According to Kamiyama, Motoko Kusanagi in SSS will be in a much darker emotional state than we have seen her in the past.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

james_sb wrote: But don't you think these people are the most comfortable with change considering?

No, not really. Most are former soldiers, who just can't quit soldiering - their job is their life and most of them have done little to really blend back to society. They're techno-savvy, yes, but not good at dealing with social changes.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

i'm really looking forward to this....
solid-state...isn't that related to superconductors
and such? anyone educated in this area?

interesting to know they got the title from an album title,
replacing survivor with society.
james_sb

Post by james_sb »

Lightice wrote: No, not really. Most are former soldiers, who just can't quit soldiering - their job is their life and most of them have done little to really blend back to society. They're techno-savvy, yes, but not good at dealing with social changes.
Introverted surely, but their interactions with people outside the group are quite capable.

And taking on cyber bodies is social change. Creates a new class of people. But i haven't though about how that relates.
Are you ANTI-POP?
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

another 20?!¿!?
Hey Lightice, why didn't you pick on elmo for evil punctuation use? *pouts* :cry: :cry: It because he is named after a cute muppet isnt it? :cry: :cry:

(Just teasing. I don't care. I just cant help being a punk :D :shock: :D )

Pssst... elmo.... way to punctuate, want to join my evil punctuation club???

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=G ... n&ct=title

Here is a giant link to a deffinition page on solid state. My guess is it may be
sort of a pun on something like government stability?

I hope they don't do the pupet master thing again. I really dislike that storyline. Plus why? It is in two formats already.

Then again it may have to do with stuff from the end of season 2 that I can not see yet.

Does anyone know what Kamiyama said about there never being another season of SAC? ( saw that refferenced on the web) is that true? did he say why?

They must be making money off the series. I give them plenty and im poor man.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Nicholo

Post by Nicholo »

They're techno-savvy, yes, but not good at dealing with social changes
I'd describe it more as their being attuned to a different society - the society of soldiers.

As highly skilled and proficient soldiers they are trained to react in ways that are often directly opposite, or at least fundamentally different, to the reactions and norms of regular society, and also trained continuously to react to situations that don't exist in regular society.

They cannot easily acclimatize themselves to regular society, either in its familiar or changing state, without giving up some of their skill and proficiency as soldiers.
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

james_sb wrote:Introverted surely, but their interactions with people outside the group are quite capable.

But only within the context of their profession. Note, how they always leave dealing with the newest rookies to Togusa, in the 2nd Gig. They don't feel comfortable with new people with different kind of background joining them - Togusa is the only exception, a mascot of sorts - yeah, a bad analogy, I know. :roll:
And taking on cyber bodies is social change. Creates a new class of people. But i haven't though about how that relates.

That is actually one of the things that sets them separate from the general populace and change. Full cyborgs are still relatively rare in the GitS-universe. In the episode 2 of the 2nd Gig we see how your average post-war military cyborgs end up as - those guys didn't seem to have much social life outside their own circles, as well.
Tonks_kittygoth wrote: Hey Lightice, why didn't you pick on elmo for evil punctuation use? *pouts* :cry: :cry: It because he is named after a cute muppet isnt it? :cry: :cry:

(Just teasing. I don't care. I just cant help being a punk :D :shock: :D )

I failed to notice, to be honest. Perhaps because several repeative punctuation marks are more noticeable than a series of different. Adding a question mark and exclamation mark together has an actual meaning in written language. Three is bit of an exaggeration, but this case seems to imply more than finger staying on the button for a little too long.
I hope they don't do the pupet master thing again. I really dislike that storyline. Plus why? It is in two formats already.

It isn't Ningyo Tsukai from the other formats. I very much doubt, that it's nature or identity would be the same, or even similar. At least I hope that Kamiyama has more imagination, than that.
I'd describe it more as their being attuned to a different society - the society of soldiers.

As highly skilled and proficient soldiers they are trained to react in ways that are often directly opposite, or at least fundamentally different, to the reactions and norms of regular society, and also trained continuously to react to situations that don't exist in regular society.

This is ofcourse one approach to view them and quite appropriate one, at that. However, my points still stand in relation to it. And I believe, that their view of the soldiers' society is already gotten a bit old - stuck to the terms of the World War IV. I don't think that they could very easily attune back to the military, either, after the relative freedom of action in Public Security, especially as the norms have changed once again to fit to the peacetime-soldiers - it would still propably be easier than trying to get back to civilian life.
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Nicholo

Post by Nicholo »

However, my points still stand in relation to it.
That is true, so please take the following as expanding or corollating with your views, rather than arguing with them.
And I believe, that their view of the soldiers' society is already gotten a bit old - stuck to the terms of the World War IV.
I think it could perhaps be described as a generation gap, rather than old. I believe all members of Section 9, with the exception of Togusa, were seasoned veterans of WWIV. I cannot speak from personal experience, but I have often read first person accounts suggesting that first hand experience with war is a unique experience. One not approachable by soldiers who have not been experienced total war, no matter what their level of training or other experiences.

I have read accounts suggesting that WWII veterans had an easier time interacting with WWI veterans, rather than the generation in between that would have been closer in age to the WWII vets. I believe all the new recruits to Section 9 so far have been too young to have experienced war.

It might be interesting however, if they were to introduce a younger character who came from a background that allowed them to relate easier with the veterans. Perhaps a young person who grew up in a still strife-torn portion of Central Asia, for example.

On a related note, given the tendencies of group dynamics, it is not surprising that the group could make the effort to accomodate a single outsider, Togusa, as a single exception in the group, but that the group would feel discomforted by a large scale influx of outsiders.
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

Stand Alone Complex Solid State Society's release date has been delayed.
Well, the initial release date of May 2006 / early summer 2006 for GITS Solid State Society has been revised, according to Production IG on the 14th of April 2006 (Source: IT Media Article).

The primary reason given was that "to ensure that the quality of SSS lives up to the expectations of the consumers, so a little longer production time is necessary"... without any concrete commitments on the next scheduled release date. I hope the delay is a short one! Not the greatest of news after all the TAF 06 hype
Got this from http://www.takotech.net/mshp//index.php ... isp=single

I personally don't mind the delay as long as the time is well spend in improving the quality of the sound and visuals.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Gouda and Kuze appear in some of the artwork connected with SSS i'm assuming(not really it could just be nothing) this means there will be some recapping of the 2nd GIG storyline involved(unless they both make a miraculous escape from death :P).

What do you guys think the title implies about what's going to happen? at a best guess I would say that 'solid-state society' is a mangling of 'solid-state theory' which is a branch of condensed matter physics; the study of rigid matter, or solids particularly crystals and it's also involved in the design of intergrated circuits. What that's got to do with GitS I'm not sure :P but most of the other bits of mangled jargon used in GitS have been descriptive of the plot(even if it is a bit of a stretch sometimes.)
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.