Article in Nature about a computer controlled by human brain

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

THYREN

Article in Nature about a computer controlled by human brain

Post by THYREN »

Extract from an article in Nature 109 (13 July 2006) about a computer being controlled by a human brain (which I find obviously linked to the very essence of GitS!):
...two papers in this week's Nature suggest that the direct interfacing of the human brain with computers or robots is no longer confined to fiction.

Both papers report the development of electronic brain implants, called neuroprostheses, that can translate the intention to move into the actual movement of a robotic device, or of a cursor on a computer screen. The hope is to give paralysed patients greater ability to interact with their environments and perhaps, ultimately, to bypass damaged spinal cords and restore movement to lifeless limbs.

Read the whole article here: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v4 ... 2109a.html
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

james_sb

Post by james_sb »

Hey, There was an article published about this in The Irish Independant (One of the two leading papers in Ireland). It said they succeded in getting a paralised person below the neck line to control a cursor on a screen. A mircochip in the top of the skull (as there coulourful diagram illustrates..) that interpretes the electrical impulses, which the person has to adapt their brain to control (Which is apparently quite easy by the way they put it. Didn't they train a monkey to control a robotic arm so it could feed itself?).

Anyway, it's begun...
Are you ANTI-POP?
Ganta

Post by Ganta »

German video about this:

http://www.spiegel.de/wissenschaft/mens ... 51,00.html

click the picture with the man that says "video abspielen". press magnifying glass for bigger video.

first he opens email, then he tries to draw a circle.
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

O_O that's actually pretty cool. >_> Ok, who am I kidding! That's amazing! :D It seems we're getting closer and closer. Aah, and how I can't wait to one day slip into a cybernetic body!

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?