Collectors guide?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

H-street

Collectors guide?

Post by H-street »

Anyone know of a Collectors guide for GITS anywhere?

things that list books, movies, comics, figures, misc items and their origins etc..
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

You're going to have to make one yourself if you want that. Here, I'll start you off:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e54039585

Isn't that bizarre? And creepy? And very, very expensive! Cool that they made something like this, though.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Nobody had anything to say about the bizarre Hadalay doll? Okay... Im not really a collector of GitS stuff anymore, but even I thought that was impressive-looking, in a surreal sort of way.

Another thing you can do if you are looking for a guide is to buy loads of Japanese magazines connected to GitS. For instance, I'm really into characters from Capcom games and have been collecting for ages now. I learnt a lot of things just doing it, but when I bought old game magazines and stuff I found out by accident (I was buying them for their covers, posters, and things like that) that they will sometimes have merchandise sections in the back that give a rundown of random things available. I learnt about some really exotic items that I've never even seen befe that way. Alternatively, you could search Yahoo Japan and just keep saving photos of interesting things for future reference. You can even just type in "Ghost in the Shell" to bring up lots of pages, although the kanji title will bring up even more. It's funny, because it's one of those weird things that seems to be completely dual-titled in Japan- both things are it's title (but probably it's easier for people there to just write the kanji).
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Sylphisonic wrote:Nobody had anything to say about the bizarre Hadalay doll? Okay... Im not really a collector of GitS stuff anymore, but even I thought that was impressive-looking, in a surreal sort of way.
have seen some of the ones it was based on in person, now every other doll fails in bizarreness/creepiness by comparison. :shock:
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

OoooOOo you saw the Bellmer Dolls!
Were they as creepy as they look in pictures?

Sylphisonic
I think the gynoid doll is creepy, in the movie, the doll, and its Belmer basis.
I do also think its cool in its sheer creepness, which was Bellmers and Oshi's point I'd imagine.

I think the original of that doll came with a set of the doll the movie and soundtrack.

There is another creepy figure set which is of the poster, and is just peices of the doll and Gabriel.
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama