GiTS Technology forum?

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

GiTS Technology forum?

Post by Saito »

I don't know how many hardcore tech-heads there are here but I really am truly fascinated by the technology discussed and shown in GiTS. My obsession with technology has been with me since my early childhood and it's constant advance fascinates me, GiTS and the themes of human cyberization and augmentation have been part of that fascination, as an example of what lies ahead, and perhaps as an abstract of what we could become one day. I'd like a technology forum here to discuss that with others, and perhaps better understand, and help others understand the complex technologies that are present in all of GiTS.

If not then, well, we could always rename this thread ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Purifying Flame of Justic
Location: The Outer Plane of Xatorsika; Pondering upon my own existence, what path in life shall I embark on?

Post by Purifying Flame of Justic »

I don't think that are anyone left with the capabilities of creating new sub-forums, but dunno.

anyhow with what we got the philosophical area would bet suited for this kind of discussion I think..
"It is terrible to die of thirst on the ocean.
Does your truth have to be so salty that it can no longer even - quench thirst?" Nietzsche
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

I suppose inevitably the technological context and philosophical context are bound to cross paths during such a discussion, however my most eager and unexplored interest is in the actual mechanical how, why and wherefore of the technology, rather than the effects on humanity as a whole.
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

Is there still interest in this? I'm perfectly happy to set up a new sub-forum about technology. As you said, it will probably dovetail with philosophy, but I think it's sufficiently different to stand on its own.

--Jeff
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Jeff Georgeson wrote:Is there still interest in this? I'm perfectly happy to set up a new sub-forum about technology. As you said, it will probably dovetail with philosophy, but I think it's sufficiently different to stand on its own.

--Jeff
I agree it is a pretty big subject all on its own. Technology covers a huge span. Who, what, when and were alone are worth a few hundred posts :wink:
Saito

Post by Saito »

Definitely, although I may lose some people here in technobabble and you;d have to tolerate a bit of subject cross over with the philosophy element too, but I am very enthusiastic about discussing the technology behind GiTS - it is after all one of the elements of GiTS I find most fascinating. I have much to say on the subject even myself, even if I might lose everyone else along the way ;)
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Saito wrote:Definitely, although I may lose some people here in technobabble and you;d have to tolerate a bit of subject cross over with the philosophy element too, but I am very enthusiastic about discussing the technology behind GiTS - it is after all one of the elements of GiTS I find most fascinating. I have much to say on the subject even myself, even if I might lose everyone else along the way ;)
The Technolgy is pretty much half of the story. What would GitS be without cyberbrains, prostetics and Tachi's. Not to mention all the other stuff that goes on. Your biggest problem is were do you start :shock:
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

I think a tech forum would be cool. All of the guns, tanks, ammo-- hardware and software for the wetworks. Interceptors. Cyberbrain stuff. Dolls. Hacking. I want to know more!
Proxy

Post by Proxy »

How about a section for real world technology? Saying theres nobody else here to create sub-topics means that nobody moderates this forum? Is there another forum like this about GITS? So far this is the best and most active.

On the note about real world tech, ive been following this story: http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-987451 ... eekGestalt which is probably old news to some but i think its awesome how cheap its supposed to be. They say its meant for gaming and everything (sounds like its basically a mind controlled hotkey system), but i think it'd be great for all around computing if you got the hang of it.

Sorry if thats a little off topic.
Jeff Georgeson
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Georgeson »

I've created a Technology forum! It's empty at the moment, but feel free to fill it up with technobabbly goodness! (Well, related to GitS, anyway.)

I could add a section for tech generally--but would that be better as topics within the "And More ..." forum? Or should it have its own forum?

Proxy--I don't actually know if there's another set of Boards like this one. I should probably look around to see if there are other interesting ideas out there :oops: Then again, it's more difficult to find GitS images (on non-official sites) than it used to be, so maybe other forums are difficult to find as well. (There's a nice excuse for not looking ... :roll: )

Any registered user can create a new thread. I'm currently the only one who sets up new categories, etc. and moderates this forum. :twisted:
Jeff Georgeson
Quantum Tiger Games
www.quantumtigergames.com
the cat is out of the box
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Proxy wrote:How about a section for real world technology? Saying theres nobody else here to create sub-topics means that nobody moderates this forum? Is there another forum like this about GITS? So far this is the best and most active.

On the note about real world tech, ive been following this story: http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-987451 ... eekGestalt which is probably old news to some but i think its awesome how cheap its supposed to be. They say its meant for gaming and everything (sounds like its basically a mind controlled hotkey system), but i think it'd be great for all around computing if you got the hang of it.

Sorry if thats a little off topic.
You're coming in on an old post. There used to be very little moderation and support around here, and at certain times it seemed like this place would go under in a blaze of spam, but all that's changed now that Jeff is back.