The Catcher in the Rye

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

adelphi

The Catcher in the Rye

Post by adelphi »

Well I've just finished the book and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I was wondering if anyone could suggest books similar to it that I could have a go with!
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

I guess this it GitS related...

If you can be more specific about what you enjoyed about the book I'd be glad to give you a recommendation or two. It's just that I haven't read the book in so long that you'd have to jog my memory. ^_^
adelphi

Post by adelphi »

Couldn't think of anywhere else to post it, my apologies =/

It was really refreshing, the inyourface point of view it portrayed. It was such a gripping book, in a real sense. Honestly felt like I was reading my own lifestory. I liked the ideas, so human and tangible.

So any recommendations yet? Thanks for replying!
Motoko2030

Post by Motoko2030 »

There is a short story that JD Salinger wrote titled the Laughing Man.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Motoko2030 wrote:There is a short story that JD Salinger wrote titled the Laughing Man.
And a lot of quotes from the book end up in the first season in various ways (such as around the Laughing Man symbol). That's how I figured it was partly gits related.

Anyhow as to what books you might enjoy Adelphi, I'm not a huge fan of coming of age stories, so I think that it's difficult for me to say. I'm more of a fantasy fan so that might be a departure from what you'd be interested in. The only other story from that period in my life is "To Kill A Mockingbird" and I suppose you might like that.
Bringin It Down

Post by Bringin It Down »

I love both the Laughing Man and Catcher in the Rye. So many cool similarities between this and the manga. You can tell Shirow was a fan.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Bringin It Down wrote:I love both the Laughing Man and Catcher in the Rye. So many cool similarities between this and the manga. You can tell Shirow was a fan.
Er Kamimya was a fan not Shirow. There's nothing in the manga related to Catcher in the Rye. All that started in the anime TV series. (There's also no Laughing Man in the manga...)
Bringin It Down

Post by Bringin It Down »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
Bringin It Down wrote:I love both the Laughing Man and Catcher in the Rye. So many cool similarities between this and the manga. You can tell Shirow was a fan.
Er Kamimya was a fan not Shirow. There's nothing in the manga related to Catcher in the Rye. All that started in the anime TV series. (There's also no Laughing Man in the manga...)
Yes, I suppose I was wrong in saying that.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

meant to post this a long while back in case anyone's interested here's an online copy of J.D. Salinger's The Laughing Man I know reading fiction from a browser window isn't perfect (i read it in a bookstore :) ) but it really is a very short short story :wink: . It only has the most tenuous links to ghost in the shell, but meh. I always prefered Nelson Algren's 'A Walk on the Wild Side' to Catcher anyway..
Joseph Cambell wrote:Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.
AJB2K3

Post by AJB2K3 »

Ive only read a bit of it but, the chief in the series is described perfectly in that story.
Psychadelic_Soul

Post by Psychadelic_Soul »

Also read "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" by J.D. It's been hailed as one of his best short stories and I'd have to agree.

Also, if you remember the Tachikoma episode from 1st Gig in which the movie director's cyberbrain is found and the Major enters after a tech refuses to return after having linked with it, you'll see the posters in the lobby of the virtual movie theater say "Go See Bananafish"
I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Well, In case you haven't noticed, my name is Holden McClure. It was a very odd experience. I was in the middle of watching GiTS SAC when they referenced Catcher and The Rye. I was interested so I decided to rent it from the Library. I was very shocked to find that a book, referenced from my favorite show, had my same unusual name, was also 17, was also skinny and white, was also performing very poorly in school, and I had never even heard of this book prior to this event. I am about 50 pages in, and so far the only thing that has kept me reading is the initial similarities I and the main character possessed. I found personality wise, we are quite different, and the plot doesn't seem to have any direction/point. Should I hold out? Will it get more interesting? Help me out here.
simon's ghost

Post by simon's ghost »

Sorry I won't be of much help... I started to read it and actually lost the book when I was just about where you are into it!
Oh well.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Holy-crap is it ever a ghost-town in here, pardon the pun. When a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to here it, does it make a sound?
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

holdenmcclure wrote:Holy-crap is it ever a ghost-town in here, pardon the pun. When a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to here it, does it make a sound?
Jeesh, people have told you already and apparently you haven't paid attention... we are a small community of devoted fans who have lives outside of the internet. please post as much as you like and be patient. This forum often moves slower than most places. Though sometimes we get a spurt of activity like we have had over the last month or so.