Ghost in the Shell live action movie possibility

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

jerryku

Ghost in the Shell live action movie possibility

Post by jerryku »

H-street

Post by H-street »

yea i was reading about that last night..

although as with any movie of this type, my expectations would be pretty low..
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

H-street wrote:my expectations would be pretty low..

:x Trust me, there's nothing pretty about it.....

mm
Who are you? Who slips into my robot body and whispers to my ghost?
Marf

Post by Marf »

Man this will suck, if its being made for the mass hollywood market it will be a dumbed down skeleton of its former self. :(
Lightice

Post by Lightice »

It sounds very unlikely that this project'd get from the ground, as it is and even less likely that it could grasp the feeling of Ghost in the Shell.
We might see this some time in the next decade, assuming that the live-action Evangelion actually comes out and becomes a success. But I doubt that this really could be good.

The possibility of Americanization bothers me the most. What would there be left of GitS enviroment if it isn't set in Japan and doesn't have Japanese characters?
Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!
Marf

Post by Marf »

I suppose we should look on the bright side, it cant possibly be worse than the live action Initial D, can it???
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Marf wrote:I suppose we should look on the bright side, it cant possibly be worse than the live action Initial D, can it???
YOU TEMPT THE FAIL FACTOR OF HOLLYWOOOOOOOD?! :x DO YOU WANT TO BE SMITTEN BY THE CLAN OF DIRECTORS FROM HELLL?!

No, on a serious note, you haven't a clue. Hollywood can ruin ANYTHING. They just have to like it enough..... :(

mm
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

yeah, i'd rather not see this happen.
it would probably turn into some femme-fatale genre film...with b-list players...something like bloodrayne--ugh!
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

GhostLine wrote:yeah, i'd rather not see this happen.
it would probably turn into some femme-fatale genre film...with b-list players...something like bloodrayne--ugh!
Or worse an A-List cast like Catwoman or Aeon Flux.
I'd much rather see a CGI movie like the opening of GITS 2nd Gig. If they're going away from the current format.

Nothing more frightening than the words "Starring Nicole Kidman as the Major"
marto_motoko

Post by marto_motoko »

Epiphany wrote: Or worse an A-List cast like Catwoman or Aeon Flux.

Nothing more frightening than the words "Starring Nicole Kidman as the Major"
>_> I honestly don't get what everyone's issue was with Aeon Flux. I thought it to be a perfectly good movie, in that it was exactly what it should be. Eye-candy, with a strange, and non-too amazing storyline. I loved the TV series, I like the movie.

As for Nicole Kidman as Motoko....That inspires me to try and do the backflip from a skyscraper scene from the first movie.... :cry:

mm
Donshonto

Post by Donshonto »

Lightice wrote:It sounds very unlikely that this project'd get from the ground, as it is and even less likely that it could grasp the feeling of Ghost in the Shell.
We might see this some time in the next decade, assuming that the live-action Evangelion actually comes out and becomes a success. But I doubt that this really could be good.

The possibility of Americanization bothers me the most. What would there be left of GitS enviroment if it isn't set in Japan and doesn't have Japanese characters?
Well to me, if they're going to be Americanize....Fucking Americanize it..

I'd rather it tell a different story or the same story from a different perspective. Maybe one telling the tensions of a divided American nation. A movie that deals with the same themes as the cartoon/comic book, but from the American Empire's point of view. That way, no one bitches about how retarded an actress/actor looks cosplaying as this character, because let's face it, I'm 85% sure if they make it Motoko/Batou/Togusa etc using real actors, they WILL look retarded.

That would be my ideal. However, I doubt it'll ever happen. :-(
james_sb

Post by james_sb »

If it works out like The Departed did from Infernal Affairs, then it'd be good. And departed had an A-list cast, but I guess characters are infinitely more important here. Appleseed would be great as a live-esque film
Are you ANTI-POP?
THYREN

Post by THYREN »

He [Production I.G President] mentioned that I.G is currently acting as an agent for the rights to a potential live-action remake of Shirow's Ghost in the Shell manga.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... ound-anime
Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly ?

Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

You know, every so often a Hollywood movie comes along that really sets a footnote. The Wachowski Brothers did it with The Matrix, Ridley Scott did it with Blade Runner. It's just a case of fusing the right director with the right story.

I mean hey - why don't Production IG get the Wachowski Brothers in t direct it - they said themselves they loved GiTS and used it as a reference for The Matrix. Plus they have good ties with Anime and the Asian movie scene. They'd fall over their asses to get it right.

I agree it's a bit of a hit-or-miss thing but hey it *could* be really good. Yeh it *could* suck too but you have to think P.I.G. wouldn't let that happen if they could avoid it...
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

I've said it before. My biggist fear is

"Starring Nicole Kidman or Julia Roberts as the Major"