Ghost in the Shell live action movie possibility

General discussion about Ghost in the Shell

Moderator: sonic

GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Epiphany wrote:I've said it before. My biggist fear is

"Starring Nicole Kidman or Julia Roberts as the Major"
that's almost as bad as the chick they chose to play lois lane in superman returns....
lessee...the major....someone who could look in her late twenties...early thirties, but have an old soul...and be smokin' hot and kick-ass...I JUST DON'T KNOW!
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

If they're gonna make another GITS movie thats not done in the already proven format. I hope they do it more like "Final Fantasy Advent Children". The CGI format seems to work great in the opening sequels of "Stand Alone Complex and in Innocence". At least that way the Major would look like the Major, Ect. Ect. Plus CGI has come a long way since those were made
Last edited by Epiphany on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

Has anyone seen Mamoru Oshii's "Avalon," live action film? I just added on my netflix list...but anyway, he uses an actress modelled remarkably after Major Kusanagi...and even drops some parallel scenes to GiTS....
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Epiphany wrote:If they're gonna make another GITS movie thats not done in the already proven format. I hope they do it more like "Final Fantasy Advent Children". The CGI format seems to work great in the opening sequels of "Stand Alone Complex and in Innocence". At least that way the Major would look like the Major, Ect. Ect. Plus CGI has come a long way since those were made
I agree, this is kind of a logical step forward from standard animation. A lot of the non-human commonly used characters in GiTS:SAC are already modeled in 3D then cell shaded down to the animation level, so they have the beginnings of the expertise already. The hardest part of CGI animation is how real it needs to be. Square Enix are masters of making their CGI animations look really real. On the flip side the 2004 Appleseed movie looked awesome and was beautifully composed, but looked more like cell animation. As long as they avoid shiny humans I can probably cope with it however it looks ;)
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

Saito wrote:
Epiphany wrote:If they're gonna make another GITS movie thats not done in the already proven format. I hope they do it more like "Final Fantasy Advent Children". The CGI format seems to work great in the opening sequels of "Stand Alone Complex and in Innocence". At least that way the Major would look like the Major, Ect. Ect. Plus CGI has come a long way since those were made
I agree, this is kind of a logical step forward from standard animation. A lot of the non-human commonly used characters in GiTS:SAC are already modeled in 3D then cell shaded down to the animation level, so they have the beginnings of the expertise already. The hardest part of CGI animation is how real it needs to be. Square Enix are masters of making their CGI animations look really real. On the flip side the 2004 Appleseed movie looked awesome and was beautifully composed, but looked more like cell animation. As long as they avoid shiny humans I can probably cope with it however it looks ;)
I agree, shiny people look plastic. GITS wouldn't likely get a "Lord Of The Rings" type budget. Then again once new software is in place the cost goes down rapidly. So maybe by now it would be affordable to lower budget films.
Saito
Location: The chopper you never saw, behind the gun you never heard, about to fire the shot you never expected

Post by Saito »

Epiphany wrote: I agree, shiny people look plastic. GITS wouldn't likely get a "Lord Of The Rings" type budget. Then again once new software is in place the cost goes down rapidly. So maybe by now it would be affordable to lower budget films.
You don't need a 'Lord of the Rings' size budget to do good CGI, you just need a small group of talented and dedicated modelers, animators, choreographers, and artists under a visionary director with a big slab of time. You do need an investment of hardware and software to do it too, but it's a once-in-5-years thing at most and the total cost of equipping a team like that wouldn't have paid for the sandwiches on one episode of LoTR ;)

In that sense it very much is today what Anime was traditionally, an art form that is scalable from a 5-min short to an epic feature film, and does not require massive manpower, just talent, time and patience.

Live action has always been the expensive art form as it requires huge amounts of manpower, sets, live effects crews, makeup, safety teams, extras, camera crews, and a whole lot else. If you ever get a chance, watch the documentaries that come in the the Matrix Ultimate Boxset. It's a fascinating insight into exactly how MUCH effort you can put into a live action film. The making of that trilogy is almost more immense than the actual trilogy. The whole thing was HUGE. Yet if it had been 100% CGI'd one small team could have done it on a fraction of the budget. The team that did do the CGI was only about a small bunch of guys using Dell workstations and top-end 3D modeling and animation software.

Oh, and you need access to a HUGE rendering cluster, but you can practically go out and hire time on them these days.
[MKFC] [BFC] [NINf] [BID] [TMDDFCA] [LMFC]
Beware the Left Eye

In the Major we Trust...
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

Yeah, the woman from Avalon looked very like her from the first film; very much Oshii's taste in women I think.

I say they should cast marto as Motoko, lol. Make it a transgender casting, lol. He's so into the character he'd probably be really good, lol.

The thing is that Motoko has a number of looks, so they could take it in different directions. A blue-eyed black haired Motoko? Brown hair and brown eyes? Blues? Pinks? The SAC purple-hair Motoko? There's a lot of choice and room for variation. I like brown hair brown eyes, but then I'm biased ^_^ (I'd be terrible though; no-one wants a short Motoko who can't do flips and leaps). I have changed my mind over the years- a live GitS film could be great if they put their own stamp on it, just has everyone else has done with the franchise. At worse, I'll just feel "take it or leave it" over it- a bit like how I can love both the films, but I can leave parts of the mangas and SAC because they don't appeal to me as much. If they're really treated as separate entities and they don't screw up a few basic things, it's not too bad to deal with.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Unfortunately, I am quite sure that this will not be a successful adaptation. Only a bastard-child of the previous adaptations. In order to make a convincing live-action adaptation from any sci-fi or fantasy fiction animated film or book, you have to have a very large budget as opposed to other movies. LoTR was successful because the books were very successful, and therefore had an installed viewer base from the git-go, therefore it was snatched up from a very wealthy production studio and given a large budget. Unfortunately GiTS was mainly marketed towards Japanese viewers, and even taking that into account, GiTS viewer base pales in comparison to the reader base LoTR has/had. As well as the fact that GiTS would probably require an even larger budget to appease the animation standards that the anime adaptations have created within the GiTS viewers. I definately wouldn't consider getting excited over this. I have a feeling this movie will be about as appealing to us as "The Hobbit" movie was to Tolkein readers. What I want to know is about A FUCKING THIRD SEASON OF SAC DAMNIT!
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

holdenmcclure wrote:Unfortunately, I am quite sure that this will not be a successful adaptation. Only a bastard-child of the previous adaptations. In order to make a convincing live-action adaptation from any sci-fi or fantasy fiction animated film or book, you have to have a very large budget as opposed to other movies. LoTR was successful because the books were very successful, and therefore had an installed viewer base from the git-go, therefore it was snatched up from a very wealthy production studio and given a large budget. Unfortunately GiTS was mainly marketed towards Japanese viewers, and even taking that into account, GiTS viewer base pales in comparison to the reader base LoTR has/had. As well as the fact that GiTS would probably require an even larger budget to appease the animation standards that the anime adaptations have created within the GiTS viewers. I definately wouldn't consider getting excited over this. I have a feeling this movie will be about as appealing to us as "The Hobbit" movie was to Tolkein readers. What I want to know is about A FUCKING THIRD SEASON OF SAC DAMNIT!
I disagree about LotR. The reason it was a faithful adaptation was not so much because of the fans, but because the people who were making it decided to have a vested interest in making it authentic (and even then it they did add a few things and change a few parts).

I do agree that the live action GitS movie might be an entirely different story all together.
holdenmcclure

Post by holdenmcclure »

Jeni Nielsen wrote:
holdenmcclure wrote:Unfortunately, I am quite sure that this will not be a successful adaptation. Only a bastard-child of the previous adaptations. In order to make a convincing live-action adaptation from any sci-fi or fantasy fiction animated film or book, you have to have a very large budget as opposed to other movies. LoTR was successful because the books were very successful, and therefore had an installed viewer base from the git-go, therefore it was snatched up from a very wealthy production studio and given a large budget. Unfortunately GiTS was mainly marketed towards Japanese viewers, and even taking that into account, GiTS viewer base pales in comparison to the reader base LoTR has/had. As well as the fact that GiTS would probably require an even larger budget to appease the animation standards that the anime adaptations have created within the GiTS viewers. I definately wouldn't consider getting excited over this. I have a feeling this movie will be about as appealing to us as "The Hobbit" movie was to Tolkein readers. What I want to know is about A FUCKING THIRD SEASON OF SAC DAMNIT!
I disagree about LotR. The reason it was a faithful adaptation was not so much because of the fans, but because the people who were making it decided to have a vested interest in making it authentic (and even then it they did add a few things and change a few parts).

I do agree that the live action GitS movie might be an entirely different story all together.
That is true, I mentioned the amount of funding as a large element in LoTR's success, not its sole purpose. You don't honestly think that LoTR would have been even half as good with a standard movie budget do you? It would arguably be unfilmable. Regardless of this tangent, I believe GiTS would also require a strong budget in order to work, as well as the fact that the political/philosophical elements to the plot would be truncated in order to be more mainstream Hollywood friendly.
Epiphany

Post by Epiphany »

holdenmcclure wrote:
Jeni Nielsen wrote:

That is true, I mentioned the amount of funding as a large element in LoTR's success, not its sole purpose. You don't honestly think that LoTR would have been even half as good with a standard movie budget do you? It would arguably be unfilmable. Regardless of this tangent, I believe GiTS would also require a strong budget in order to work, as well as the fact that the political/philosophical elements to the plot would be truncated in order to be more mainstream Hollywood friendly.
Hollywood friendly means "$$$$$$"
I think that the whole thing is a huge mistake no matter what the budget.
GitS needs to stay Anime or CG. Anything else will be a joke and insult to the spirit of the originals :cry:
The Hokie Pokie "IS" what it's all About.
sonic
Special

Post by sonic »

I agree, shiny people look plastic.
But it would look a lot like the MMI (Man-Machine Interface) manga if they went in for the shiny plastic people look. Could create a surrealist 'artificial people' atmosphere, capitalising on the alreasy surreal artificial nature of CGI?
GitS needs to stay Anime or CG. Anything else will be a joke and insult to the spirit of the originals
Although the original was a manga...

Seriously though, GitS in a media-spanning franchise at this point. It's like Street Fighter- different people have used the initial general concept to tell a variety of versions of story, some far more successful and good and innovative than others. Your biggest fears (everyone, from what I've seen) really seems to be what having an extremely popular Hollywood version of Ghost in the Shell will brand the franchise and the characters as in the popular imagination. I understand that totally- that was my biggest fear whenever I hear about a new Street Fighter thing, worrying that they'll misrepresent my own favourite heroine Chun-Li some way (because.. gee... so many people don't seem to 'get' her to me :roll: ). And to a small extent I'm still a little sore about the Americanisation of Lara Croft (READ: making her more of a sympathetic, acceptible hero despite the fact that that was *not* the original game character's story before the new generation of Tomb Raider games).

BUT... at some point you just need to let it go and accept that they're making a new thing and it may not be for you. I don't particularly get into SAC or manga Motoko like I do movie Motoko, and while I think SAC is okay I don't particularly like the fact that it's become the really big thing now instead of the movies for most new fans... pretty much like some hardcore manga fans don't like that the Oshii movies replaced the manga a bit as the big thing in GitS before... To me, SAC just doesn't represent as well what made GitS great to me in the movies, and the movies don't represent what made GitS for some other people in the mangas. It's okay... you'll just complain for a while hear when it happens like I did/have been doing about SAC, but it will never take away from the fact that the version or versions you liked are great for you. Besides which, I've learnt (bitterly, lol) that other people will defile what you love about a character no matter how important that character is to you. No character is apparently special enough for any of us to be allowed to keep the way we want them.

Perhaps that is where being a fan of fictional things is just a trivial pursuit at the end of the day. (certainly it doesn't make any of us look good to get too 'angry fanboy' over these things for life... though you're entitled to be a little bit sore over it for a while, lol)