Introduce yourself

Tell us about yourself!
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

ryann wrote:That aside i have many interest one is poeple's intriguing views of many of thing(hence why i set out to find a ghost in the shell forum...ghost in the shell being very intelectual reviting thus being great bases for discussion). If u were not able to tell from my previous sentences i have very bad grammar and am always to lazy to fix the one i catch(being 1 out of 5 word splet wrong)

Welcome to the forum!

I'm Jeni. I'm a bit snarky at times, so take me with a grain of salt. And a shot or two. :)

Not to be rude or anything, but if you're looking for intellectual conversation it might do you some good to try and make yourself more intelligible. Spelling aside, since everyone has typos here and there, making paragraphs and good punctuation always helps. Also anytime anyone uses "u" for "you" it always makes me groan :roll:

Anyhow welcome and take your time. As they say in Gankutsuou

Matte, shikashite, kibouseyo! (Wait, bide your time, hold out hope)

Enjoy the forum.
Peanut Echo

Post by Peanut Echo »

Hi. I'm Peanut Echo.

Actually, I'm just a random girl who was charmed by this forum last week. It was such a nice surprise to find an intelligent site that gave more info than simply regurgitating the episode summaries. I simply had to sign up.

My academic background is in art and graphic design so the political philosophies get a bit overwhelming sometimes but I enjoy it. At least I don't turn off the tv thinking "Darn, there goes another hour of my life I'll never get back."

What else... hrm. Until a year ago I split my life between Texas and DC (can't escape Dubya! Ahhhh!!!) and I question the existence of North Dakota. That is all.

*resumes lurking*
:-)
MarlboroMan

Post by MarlboroMan »

Ive been a long time reader and follower of the boards, I think my original name was Ghostline, but then these forums have gone through a few facelifts and some remodelings so someone else took my name or something. Whateva!

Im a huge fan of ghost in the shell, got the VHS, the whole first SAC and 2nd Gig on..ya know.. the underground type of video u get off the internet. Got the MMI and ghost in the shell 1.5(in japanese..its still chill though) mangas. Tons of Shirow posters, he's such a pervert he he :D.

A little about myself, im an alcoholic, and im a motorcyclist! Suzuki for the Win!
GhostLine

Post by GhostLine »

MarlboroMan wrote: I think my original name was Ghostline,
if i knew someone had Ghostline pegged before, i would have chosen another moniker! sorry about that (well not really...but you know what I mean.) and i thought i was being original............. :(
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

Post by Tonks_kittygoth »

Woohoo! Two more vegetarians! Thanks for making us more represented Smile
:gabu: :gabu: :gabu: :gabu: YeY for Happy Veggieness! :gabu: :gabu: :gabu:

I used to live in Denver. We lived on the flat side. The bummpy side looked nicer. We found out that it is no better living on the flat side of Denver than living in the midwest if you dont have a car or money. The mountains are still an eternity away. Is Hatches books still there?
"Life is as dear to a mute creature as it is to man.
Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as
one wants to live and not die, so do other
creatures." - His Holiness The Dalai Lama
douyang

Post by douyang »

I'm a guy who recently graduated from Rutgers University. I live in New Jersey, the toxic waste dump capital of the United States. Looking for work. Not really into anime but SAC got me hooked. I also like violent video games, forums with intelligent conversations, imaginative science fiction and fantasy, and authentic Chinese food.
Tonks_kittygoth
Location: The dark dark woods where the kitten monsters live....or happy la la land, my summer home.

What does douyang mean?
What is the diff. between restaraunt, and authentic Chinese food? Or does it just depend on the restaruant?

OooOOooo Rutgers, Swanky... whacha major in?

Look around in Anime, there are stacks of dif. kinds.
You prob. would like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.
Jeni Nielsen

Post by Jeni Nielsen »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:What does douyang mean?
What is the diff. between restaraunt, and authentic Chinese food? Or does it just depend on the restaruant?

I'm not really sure what the difference is when it comes to Chinese food, but all I know is you can NOT find any good authentic Japanese food anywhere in NYC (unless you go to Chinatown).

::misses her soba noodles and kara age::
secondhandevil

Post by secondhandevil »

I think maybe American Chinese food evolved seperately from traditional Chinese food as part of immigrants efforts to appeal to western tastes.

Well,Since I posted I might as well get it over with. The name I go by is Beau. I'm 19 and I live in the deep south and I am pretty much your typical gun-toting paranoid redneck.

I was born on an SAC Base in 87 and I grew up around a lotta people with military backgrounds. So at somepoint I became obsessed with weapons and military tactics. ( I would have joined up but I have medical problems ).

Right now I collect knives and read lots of books about warfare (I generally prefer non-fiction to fiction) and while I only own 1 rifle at the moment,I Plan on collecting weapons when I get real money. I'm heavily considering launcing a guerilla war against one of the smaller Hawaiian islands so I can have a nice place to retire on one day. :twisted:

So yeah,Be afraid,Be very afraid.
I used to be sane,I'm better now.
douyang

Post by douyang »

Tonks_kittygoth wrote:What does douyang mean?

"douyang" is actually my name. Guess what it is.

The line between Authentic vs. Fake Chinese food can sometimes be blurry, but I generally consider stuff like sweet and sour chicken and pepper steak to be the fake stuff. Some of the fake stuff is good, or at least passable, but the authentic, I find at least, is a little better. This includes varieties of tofu, green vegetables like bok choy, black bean sauce, etc.

B.A in Economics. And I have a question: do a lot of people consider Rutgers to be Ivy league or something? I heard something to that effect. Personally, I don't believe it to be that great, due to the large class sizes and the fact that a lot of the tests I took were multiple choice due to the large class sizes. It's still a pretty good deal for a state school though, the place is huge and offers practically every curriculum imaginable, plus they provide great assistance with job searching and working in school.

I just never want to have to take an 40 minute bus ride just to get to class (one way) ever again. That was probably my biggest beef with the school. That and the assholes who still piss and shit on the toilet seat when they're far beyond the age where they should know better.

I've already watched most of cowboy bebop, in Japanese with english subs. I've also watched some samurai champloo, good but I hate the English dubbing.
Tonks_kittygoth

douyang wrote: "douyang" is actually my name. Guess what it is.
Zimbabweian? Slovainian?Peruvian?
The line between Authentic vs. Fake Chinese food can sometimes be blurry, but I generally consider stuff like sweet and sour chicken and pepper steak to be the fake stuff. Some of the fake stuff is good, or at least passable, but the authentic, I find at least, is a little better. This includes varieties of tofu, green vegetables like bok choy, black bean sauce, etc.
Oh Ok, that makes sense. I thought maybe it was a differnce between if it was more of a "mom and pop" sort of restaruant, or a bigger place. MmmmMmmm different kinds of tofu....mmmmm. This place is as un authentic as it gets, but im a sucker for the tofu at P.F. Chang's, the kind with the brockli ring around it...mmmmmm. Damn, now Im all hungry.....

I have to be careful though, cause I'm hideiously allergic to msg, and sometimes the small restaruants around here will say, oh, no we wont put it in if you ask, thinking your just annoying, and put it in anyways, and Ill get super sick. ... I like the way it tastes, just cant have it. (i know, its in lots of other things too, *curses and shakes fist at sky* )
B.A in Economics. And I have a question: do a lot of people consider Rutgers to be Ivy league or something? I heard something to that effect.
I'm not really very good with knowing the school ratings thing, but I have heard that it is supposed to be pretty snazzy to get in there...
Personally, I don't believe it to be that great
Reputation doesnt seem to mean much I guess. I go to a supposedly highly reputable private school, and I so wish I was back at my undergraduate state school. It was much more inovative and interesting. I feel like my brain is suffocating here. But its free, and Im sure its a pretty good education, just conservative and boring. And maybe Im just being a brat. ...
I've already watched most of cowboy bebop, in Japanese with english subs. I've also watched some samurai champloo, good but I hate the English dubbing.
Huh, I actually liked the dubing on those 2 plus Gits. Usually it is painful to watch dubbing, and the translation is awful, but I thought those all were pretty good. Sometimes its which you see first. The worst dubbing I think I saw was a tie between the first GiTS and a french movie called "City of Lost Children" *shudders*
douyang

Post by douyang »

douyang wrote:

"douyang" is actually my name. Guess what it is.
Tonks Kittygoth wrote:Zimbabweian? Slovainian?Peruvian?
No, I mean it's my actual name. I wasn't asking about ethnic origin.
Tonks_kittygoth

Sometimes, Im a little thick sorry. Why did you ask to guess what it is then?
(probably still being thick...)
GP

Post by GP »

Hey...I'm GP. I work out of my house as a freelance technical writer for the utility industry. The job's OK, but I've been working on a crime novel that I'd like to get published. But, I perceive my true calling in life to be what I enjoy most...being a father and husband to my beautiful daughter and wife.

Anyhow, I got into anime when I was working a video store in college. To be honest, I didn't really give a rip about anime up until then...but, my co-workers got me hooked on Trigun and it sort of rolled from there.

Strangely enough, I'm also somewhat of a jock...not in the meathead, bully-assclown kind of way, but I originally went to college on a baseball scholarship...after turning down lacrosse and hockey scholarships. So, needless to say, I like sports.

Along w/my engineering degree, I also have a film degree which was a great major at the university I attended. They had an excellent anime club where we'd get together a couple nights a week and watch original prints of Astro Boy, Akira, Princess Mononoke, and, of course, GitS.

Well, enough about me (I'm really not that interesting), I'll look forward to reading and getting to know the rest of you.
Falling away from the past...but it's following...
douyang

Post by douyang »

My name is actually Chinese. It sound bizarre for a Chinese name though. Where did "Tonks Kittygoth" come from? (I wonder if you're a goth, for some reason)